This website was developed in cooperation with the Vermont Housing and Finance Agency (VHFA) and the Vermont Attorney General's Office (AGO). Content material was compiled and arranged by AGO intern Victoria Westgate and reviewed by many stakeholders. The site was designed by Craig Bailey of VHFA and is maintained by that office.
Act 176 (Sec. 22) of the 2008 Legislature established a safe rental housing study committee to make recommendations to achieve the following goals:
- Promote the health and safety of the citizens of Vermont.
- Facilitate compliance with existing health and safety standards.
- Provide support to municipal health officers.
- Create a resource for tenants and landlords.
- Enable communities to focus on problem properties.
- Encourage a private sector response to a public health and safety need.
- Reduce fire fatalities.
- Establish a statewide rental housing inspection system.
This committee wrote a report to the Legislature in February 2010.
As a part of this effort, the committee created this website as a portal of information available online but in disparate areas of state and local government websites. Our goal is to keep the site current and accurate. You can sign up to receive updates as they are posted online, and are welcome to contact us with questions or suggestions.